Burial

The burial was conducted on Monday March 30, 2009 at 10:30 am at the Sacramento Valley VA National Cemetery in Dixon, CA. Naval representatives performed a brief but poignant burial ceremony that included a 21 gun salute and the playing of Taps [See Video Below] .



Keisha Smith, Doug's eldest daughter by second wife Carolyn received the flag after the ceremony. The coffin was not lowered into the grave at the time because the ceremonial services were conducted distant to the grave.



The Sacramento Valley VA National Cemetery was undergoing construction on the date of the burial. Doug will rest in lot 502 at the completion of the facility in 2010.


4 comments:

  1. Kendal Slocum3/4/09 4:31 PM

    It was a very windy day that Monday and the twenty-one gun salute echoed in the wind across the field that surrounded us. When Taps was played it sewed the finality of Doug's passing and the closure of his life here on Earth in all of our hearts. He will be missed but never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very honored to recieve my fathers flag. The challenges that we faced getting to the facility, made it that much more special. I miss him, not a day goes by I don't think about calling him, but like my daughter says,"Jesus came to pick up Grandpa." And with that I know he is in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith Vanessa Slocum-Williams6/4/09 10:11 AM

    kendal, I appreciate your efforts in updating this blog and sharing memories, not only of our father, but our family. I realize we only came into this world for a brief stay; this life is but a vapor. Nevertheless, when one with whom we share DNA departs this life, some portion of us leaves also. Family has always meant a lot to me and as I grow older it means that much more. For this reason I thankful to have had the opportunity to meet all my sibling with the exception of Craig. Of tantamount importance is time spent in California with family. When Ronald was killed, I felt outraged and to this day I still miss our brother. Although something or someone caused a rift between my father and me, I nonetheless feel a void with his passing. This blog means so very much to me, with it I again somehow feel connected. It is my joy to call you brother. Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendal, and Keisha Thanks.
    You didn't have to post it; However, you did, and for that I say Thank You.

    Karen.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are filtered for content and will not post immediately.